martes, 23 de septiembre de 2008

¡Happy Un-Birthday!

We were belting out the happiest un-birthday song possible which was followed by un-hugs and un-birthday blessings and an un-cake...ahem, a real cake. Let's not joke about chocolate. Alas, it was a perfect Sunday afternoon.

I smile thinking about the amazing young people in our budding church, La Fuente.

A few weeks later I was grasping for words in my Otomi language class, my newfound hobby. Oh...wait...How do you say ¨Happy Birthday?¨ I asked.

Silence filled the room. People looked back and forth at each other and then...laughter. Finally someone explained to me that in Otomi you don't have a birthday. They continued giggling and jabbering on about me in a language still very foreign.

I smile thinking about my amazing friends...who think I'm crazy.

Un-birthdays. Gotta' love 'em. Makes you want to enjoy each day a wee bit more.

1 comentario:

Anónimo dijo...

How fun for those Otomi children to be able to adopt the birthday celebration traditions of your culture. It sounds like they would enjoy it.
As an adult i kinda like their "un" tradition.